Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Fiesta San Antonio

We are only days away from San Antonio’s largest event, Fiesta San Antonio. Did I say event? I meant events, over one hundred activities, parties, and parades. This San Antonio tradition brings the city together to celebrate our history and culture. The focus of much of the activity is on the Battle of Flowers and Fiesta Flambeau Parades.

I must have been thinking about those hot afternoons waiting for the parade to start when I made this piece because it reminds me of the cold sweet raspas you can buy from the street venders. You might know them as shaved ice but here in San Antonio it’s a raspa. The sweet syrup poured over ice in a paper cup so flimsy it’s only a matter of seconds before the sticky wet syrup drips down your arm. That’s what this reminds me of as the colors swirl just beneath a rough layer of glass. I can almost taste it.

-

No comments: