Sunday, October 12, 2008

Good Old Fashion Snail Mail

There is a certain something special about receiving a package in the mail. To sort past the bills and junk mail and find a jewel. Something which arrives by mail took deliberate intent on the part of the sender including the preparation of the package, postage and a trip to a post office. The effort involved is greater then just a light flick of a pinkie finger to an Enter button of a keyboard. That effort often involves intent put as ink to paper and wrapped in brown packaging.

This week I received two such treasures. The first was a card which traveled all the way from Lithuania. Sent to me by a fellow member of Postcrossing, it was obvious Leva had taken time to select the right card to send as ambassador across the sea. A card representing of the work of local Lithuanian graphic artist Sigute Ach, titled "Melie, pilna tylaus plaukimo maza valtele" or "Love full of silent rowing by a small boat" it brought a smile to my face as I brushed past ordinary white envelopes with cellophane windows to find this whimsical packet with a small treat inside.


-
The second was a manila envelope sent to Wired Designs Studio. I don’t normally receive mail at the studio so my interest was peeked when I receive a call informing me I had received a package from Austin, Texas. A package? For Me? With child like curiosity I came to find this nondescript package contained photos taken by a student documenting the events of an Introductory Fusing Class. Thank you so much Farah! I meet Farah for the first time during San Antonio’s first Luminaria event. It was not long after that she joined us at Wired Designs for a workshop. With her photo journalism background it was only natural she would want to document the workshop with her photos and I am glad she did. Her are just a few of her shots.
-

Above: Me demoing the use of a small butane torch to bend 2mm glass

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Left: Me demoing the creation of a small tack fused glass clock
Right: Students working on a butane torch and saw to complete their projects

No comments: