Monday, May 9, 2011

Natural Attraction

-
 -
-
 This time last year I was driving through the country side admiring the abundance of wildflowers. The vibrant colors  splattered across fields as if they came straight from an artist paint pallet. This year is very different. I can't remember our last good rain. There certainly hasn't been one this spring. Already in stage 1 drought restrictions this years wildflowers came and went so quickly I wonder if it was a figment of my imagination. On my most recent drive south of San Antonio the landscape was gold, amber and red. The only real wildflowers to survive these conditions are the reds and yellows of the Indian Blanket and Mexican Hat. What caught my attention on this drive were the fields of wheat shining golden in the sun. Texas can be beautiful place both in the years lush from rain and when kissed by the sun. I imagine this will be a long dry summer during which the native grasses and fields of wheat will dance in the hot breeze of the afternoon.
-
These images were still fresh in my minds eye when Leah Fairbanks arrived at Wired Designs Studio to teach a workshop on Gardens of Glass. Although I personally do not make glass beads on the torch , I appreciate the skill involved and enjoy collecting beads from the visiting instructors I have had the privilege to meet. Leah brought a diverse selection of floral beads in almost every color pallet from pastels to deep rich tones . Presented with an assortment of brilliant and lush options what was I immediately attracted to? Why this vessels of amber wheat naturally. The golden stalks sit atop a vessel full of a blue gray color reaction with flecks of gold leaf sparkling in the light. Of all the beads Leah makes this may not be the most colorful or complicated but it was the one that was meant for me.
-
5cm glass bead by Leah Fairbanks
-

No comments: