Saturday, May 1, 2010

Asta de Toro Azul - The Horn of the Blue Bull

-
4" and 10" Soda Lime Glass 
Kilnformed and Coldworked Sushi Plates
-
The idea for this particular series began in a rather ordinary way. Just about everyday I put on the same sentimental pieces of jewelry; my wedding ring, an infinity bracelet and a bangle bracelet made from the horn of a bull. The bangle bracelet was  a gift from one of my Tias upon returning from a trip to Nicaragua. I've worn it for years. One day, probably while sitting in traffic or when on a long phone call, I began looking closely at the striations in the band.  A linear pattern with variation in color and texture. For weeks, when board, I would distract myself by contemplating how to achieve this look in glass. When I came upon just the right glass I began working on this idea. During the creation process, small details from my original inspiration became more elaborate as I took work to the torch, lathe and sandblaster. Above and below are some of the functional pieces created as part of this series. To the left, a 19 x 21" framed tack fused piece incorporates elements pulled in the flame, the sketch of my imagined bull sandblasted and filled with black enamel, and a segment of the final glass used to create this functional series. It is my glass art journal telling the story of my process, of time and temperature and of inspiration.
-
6" Cast Soda Lime Glass
Footed Bowls with Torch Worked Details
-
These pieces are currently on display at 
Artisans in Fredericksburg, Texas.
-
 Artisans has recently be receiving some rave reviews and deservedly so. Check out what Elizabeth Ross had to say about them on About.com.
-

No comments: