Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Completed Half Leather Five Cord Book

-

-
Above: Front and back covers of a 9 x 12.5" book. The book contains 15 signatures each made from one sheet of Hahnehuhle Schiller paper torn into quarters, folded and punched. The signatures were sewn along with five cords to create the text block (as seen in a previous post) and then bond in a style medieval in origin. The spine and corners are covered in a half leather binding. A fine Japanese marble paper covering the remaining surface and inside covers. The headbands and deblure were done in a contrasting leather. The curves of the front cover are picked up on the back bottom corner, contrasting the other straight lines of the book.
-
 I love that in making my own art journals, my hands are now contributing to every step of the creation process for my glass work. From creating the place I store and develop my ideas for projects to the creation of the project itself. It all takes places in/with my hands. The design ideas beginning with the creation of the  book itself.
-

No comments: