Monday, March 12, 2012

Carnahan Elementary School Art Walk

The Carnahan Elementary School Art Walk was last week. This was my 4th year participating. I was thrilled to see the continued growth of the event and the children's excitement at being exposed to so many artists in a variety of media. I bumped into several good friends from both the San Antonio Glass Art Guild (SAGAG) and the San Antonio Calligraphy Guild (SACG). Always so but particularly in this day and age of decreasing school budgets, it is important that we do what we can in our local communities to promote the arts and art education.
-


I had the right size flame for an elementary school event. Using my little butane torch I bent 2mm strands of glass into spirals just as outlined in the tutorial in the SAGAG cookbook. This is a great demo to discuss the role of science as  we work with heat control and gravity to achieve our desired results.
-





 Right next to me children were taking turns trying their hands on a potters wheel. I thought Juliet did great for her first time. Craftmanship must just run in the family. Great job kiddo!

No comments: