Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Control, Or Lack There Of

Several months ago, someone suggested I create a piece out of pure spontaneity, quickly and without thought. The intent was I act on emotion and instinct. I was supposed to abandon the need to control the result (hah) and enjoy what happens in the moment. To see what would come if I just let go.

That was several months ago. Although I agreed to the exercise I had not been able to bring myself to actually do it. Just thinking about this supposedly simple and cathartic assignment would stress me out. Frankly, I wasn't sure I could even do it. You see I’m a planner… okay a bit of a control freak I can admit it. So, for the last two months I procrastinated. Once again it was Melanie with an Inspire Me Thursday Creative Prompt that put the boot to my backside and kicked me outside of my safe little box.
-

Control is any illusion - 10 x 10" fused glass tile

-

3 comments:

Thea said...

i love it
i've always wanted to work with glass

Anonymous said...

I like the feel of this piece - and you are right - ultimately control is an illusion. We may influence, but there are too many variables in any given situation for us to believe we truly have ultimate control.
Your piece reminds me that chaos is not always a bad thing, - beauty can be found there!

kt40 said...

I commend you on stepping out the box, you did it and gained something beautiful. Well done!