Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Reproducing the Human Form

I had a fabulously messy time, my favorite kind, in a workshop taught by Kerry Transtrum at Wired Designs Studio, October 6-8. The class was on casting the human form in glass with the focus on mold making. We utilized various techniques to make temporary and permanent molds of our faces, hands, feet, etc. Until now I had only limited experience making one-off molds and this workshop took my understanding and skills to the next level. I was having so much fun working closely with friends and fellow glass artists, verse in my garage alone late at night, that I didn't realize how much I was learning. We used the molds we created to cast negative reliefs and positive images of our faces using glass billet. Although I will not have examples to show for several weeks, because they are still developing in the kiln, I can show you pictures of the initial step we took to make temporary molds of our faces. Plugging our noses and breathing through a straw we completely covered our faces for several minutes. Would you believe me if I told you it was strangely relaxing?
-
-



-

-




-

- -
That was the other odd thing about this process. The molds I made for this workshop were of myself. So, the face(s) I created in glass are of me... only I don't think they really look like me. It's like hearing your voice on tape. It never really sounds the way you hear yourself.

Thanks Kerry and Wired Designs for this wonderful opportunity!

-

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Unbelievable! I think I would've panicked and inhaled quickly through the straw, only to be drowned by casting goop, with my fear-struck face forever frozen in time. :)


Now cast that in glass and place it upon your piano like a Beethoven statue.