Thursday, June 26, 2008

Austin Museum of Art


Lagona Gloria on Lake Austin

Recently a friend and I decided to visit the Austin Museum of Art (AMOA). Plugging AMOA into her car’s directional service took us first to Lagona Gloria. This is a lovely 1916 villa, which was once the home of legendary Texan Clara Driscoll. Clara Driscoll played a significant role in the preservation of the Alamo (very important to those of us from San Antonio). With a rich historical background and a lush 12-acre ground overlooking Lake Austin this beloved site has been declared a national treasure and is on city, state, and national registries of historic places.












From the grounds on Lagona Gloria

The grounds are lush and lovely with light braking through the dense canopy with dramatic effect. It's the perfect place to sit with a sketch book or for a slow romantic stroll. I am sure this beauty has inspired many works and at present Lagona Gloria is showing works by some of their instructors that were inspired by the property.

Approaching AMOA downtown, only blocks from the Capital

After walking the house and grounds we headed downtown to see the exhibit Lewitt X 2. The exhibit includes not only works by Sol Lewitt but also from his personal collection. I enjoyed seeing the collection with a friend with who I could discuss my thoughts. And just as much I am now enjoying reading the exhibit program. I always by the program book when I see an exhibit I like. It’s my way of reliving the experience over and over again later. Plus I’m learning a few things in the process, background on some of the pieces I saw, their history, etcetera.


Here I am enjoying the grounds at Lagona Gloria on a warm sunny summer afternoon. Sculpture is sprinkled throughout the grounds, some obvious others hidden surprises.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

I have not been to the Capitol in years. It's been awhile since I've been to any exhibit. Looks like fun. These are some great photos. I love the pic's of the ducks....too cute.