Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Recent Coastal Adventures

-
In the last couple of months my husband David has found a couple of days to sneak away from his daily activities at My Place and take the three hour drive with our Doberman and I down to the Texas Gulf Coast. During these little adventures I snapped a couple of photos, read a couple of books and made some new glass discoveries; bits of which I thought I share with you.
-
Cameras in tow I figured I'd brush up on the drive down by perusing a copy of The Digital Photography Handbook, which I had picked in the bargain bin of a "super" bookstore several months back. I was pleasantly surprised with how user friendly and informative it was. Granted my expectations had not been high. And yes, some of it is very basic. The book does not assume the reader knows anything. I just breezed pasted the content I was comfortable with and stopped in sections I found interesting. The content is formatted by topic every 2 to 4 pages, so it easy to skip sections or pick up were one has left off. This format also makes the book a good desktop reference. Inspired by my recent refresher I snapped a few shots (few hundred is more like it, thank God for digital) including the following.
-

The dunes on North Padre Island

-
Dober, with a keen eye on the seagulls up ahead
Isn't he handsome
- The end of a long day of play at the beach
-

While looking for things to do in the Corpus Christie area I came across an exhibit at The Museum of South Texas titled Glasswear: Glass in Contemporary Jewlrey. I was disappointed to find the exhibit had closed just a few days prior, but the museum staff was nice enough to send me a copy of the catalog for a very modest price. The catalog turned out to be a lovely hardbound edition. With the ability to flip though its' pages at my leisure I didn't feel I missed too much . The exhibit travels next to New York City, and will be at The of Arts and Design from July 15 through September 20.

-

No comments: