Friday, July 22, 2011

Making My Own Art Journal

Capturing, developing and planning the execution of an idea are important parts of the creative process. For me, personally developing the place where this takes place makes it all the more special. The books I have made are my own. They become a safe home for my ideas good and bad. After working to build and then fill a book it becomes an old dear friend, my own adult version of the velveteen rabbit.  On occasion however, I become afraid to write in a book. This happened to me with the book I made in May of 2010, whose pages are to day still blank. What I have to say doesn't seem to match a book so formal and unnatural to open and write in.  For that reason, I am very excited to be learning a new bookbinding technique under the wonderful and wise guidance of the Book Art Babes. This contemporary binding, the rigid concave spine, was developed by James Brockman.  This binding is beautiful in it functionality and thus one I believe I will use comfortably and confidently.
-
Day 1
Preparing the Text Block
-
-
Day 2
Everyone's Favorite
Sewing the Headbands
-
-
I'm half the way there. More to come...
-

No comments: