Sunday, January 27, 2008

Expand Your Comfort Zone

We all have preferred ways of working. I do my better work when I'm by myself for long periods of time. I can think things through, take notes, come back to problems later with a clear mind. This is probably why fusing apples to me ( I have time to analyze) and flame working frustrates me (you have to make coordinated decisions in a split second). Well, the last few weeks my life has taken directions that take me way... way out of my comfort zone. You may already know (or not) that my husband and I opened a restaurant January first. It has been great to see my husband in his element, but for me it has been a complete learning experience. The first week I was like a deer in headlights. Cars were speeding by me and I was just standing there, not knowing what to do. But little by little I'm learning; how to turn off my normal tunnel vision and see/hear more then just one thing at a time, how to react and more importantly how to carry more then one thing at a time. I can see how expanding my mind and body to work in this environment will help me with glass, specifically making components for fusing in the flame. In the mean time, I can also apply some of my skills (e.g. web design, photography, administrative) to help with the restaurant.
-
-
The strange thing is that after almost a month out of the studio it took a little personal push to get back in. I guess in the end we are most comfortable in whatever we are currently doing. The best way to expand your comfort zone is just to keep trying new things, to keep learning, to keep looking at the world from a new perspective.
-

8 comments:

Anna Lloyd said...

The food looks great! Congratulations on opening the new restaurant. It must be lots of hard work!

Charlie said...

This is so cool to get a comment from someone in S.A. I just started this blog Jan.1st. I'm trying to develop my artistic side. Thought blogging would help inspire me. So far having fun. Thanks for the encouragement. My hubby and I will have to check out your restaurant. We love trying out new places to eat. Good luck with your new restaurant.

titration said...

Way to go. That is expanding your comfort zone. I personally dedicate my "you can do it" sign to you. :)

laurel said...

Yes, congratulations on the restaurant. You'll have to post when you have the website designed.

Deb G said...

What an adventure! I agree with what you say about being most comfortable with what the current project is and that it's important to keep trying new things. The food looks great!

Nicole V Lozano said...

The website is a work in progress. Here is where I am so far...

http://myplacetx.com/

H. Buchholz said...

I want that burger!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new (ad)venture! Isn't it funny how steppuing away from the studio for a while can sometimes make it harder to step back in... perhaps you're right that we get comfortable in the place we are at.