Saturday, September 19, 2009

Protecting Your Prize Possessions - Continued

If you didn't get enough of my rant on gloves the first time, I have more. I know, you were hoping I would.
-
In addition to the pair of superstar HexArmor 9010 gloves I originally purchased, I recently received a pair of Magid Kevlar Armor gloves. A seamless knit glove with a level 5 of out of 6 rating on the ANIS scale for cut resistance they were just under $9 on magidglove.com, safe and affordable. Although I only used them briefly, I was not a big fan. I felt encumbered by them, lost behind the thick barrier of knit Kevlar. They'll work great for pulling sheet glass from the crate but not so great of anything more detailed.
-
On the flip side, Cleo my 10-month old Doberman Pincher conducted her own test. Like so many puppies, Cleo is skilled at destruction. I should have known when the house was quite something was wrong. When I found Cleo she had one glove in her mouth and the other on the floor next to her. I'm gonna guess she had been working at them for a good 10 minutes. Nothing she has picked up has yet to survive far lesser periods of time alone with Cleo. These gloves, however, did not have a single snag. That's pretty amazing. Made of Kevlar Armor they are three times more cut resistant then standard Kevlar. Based on Cleo's incisors, I'm gonna say with confidence they are not just cut resistant but puncture resistant gloves too.
-
Just a few last words before I step off my soap box. If you are going make the effort to find protective gear, get the right stuff for the job. Otherwise you set yourself with a false sense of security which can only disappoint. You're not wearing them to look pretty after all.
-
Okay, I'm done now...

No comments: