Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Stop... and take things one step at a time

-
I'm quickly approaching one of those moments were if I don't stop and remind myself to take things one step at a time I will lose my mind. In addition to repeating the phrase "one thing at a time" to myself every 15 minutes, the best thing to do is to work on something that requires focus on process. It's time to build a book. 

When "building" anything one must focus on the steps required to complete the task. This isn't purely about creativity. It is about process. Not following each and every step accurately can lead to devastating results; so one must follow a checklist and review one's work to ensure quality. Not a bad exercise for someone who needs to regain some focus. My current exercise in sanity is a 9x12" half leather book with five cords. To date I have; torn down and folded paper into 15 signatures; punched holes in each signature and sewn them together around linen cords; formed, rounded and smoothed the spine; created and attached headbands; and attached 98 davey board covers to the linen cords. It is as this point a fully functioning book.
 -
-
Above, the text block prepared and ready for covers, is being used to select the  best leather and paper options for the book's cover. This weekend, I will finish dressing the book with black leather and a Japanese marble paper and end by adding a contrasting leather doublure to match the headbands. This book will be similar to the one made last October, only even bigger.
-

No comments: