Monday, May 2, 2011

There's always a first time...

-
11x7" Kilnformed and Coldworked Soda Lime Glass

Requests for commission pieces often come with a bit of a twist, asking for something just a little bit different then you are doing now or have done before. This particular request was for a platter to be used with both a candle and an incense stick. I've drilled many a hole in glass but never specifically to hold an incense stick. This was a first. The client in this case provided specifics for function and relative size. I had observed them admire two separate pieces, see below, prior to making their request. From this I pulled the design elements including; the color pallet of cool greens, grays and whites; the hammered satin finish; and  lose comfortable pattern. In my view, this piece would  need to not just preform the function of holding up the incense but also contribute to the desired state of relaxation. I hope I achieved that.
-
 -

No comments: