Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Creative Solutions to Traveling with Glass Rods

This past week I had a couple opportunities to get on the torch and create some flame worked components. As much as I love to work in the flame it is still a pretty small percentage of what I do. With that in  mind, I have made conscience decisions not to add a torch to my personal workspace. Instead I rent torch time from Dream Fire Glass. This does mean taking my materials to and from the studio. Here's what I found works for me.
-
-
I use a canvas paint brush holder to store and carry glass rod. You can find inexpensive versions at most hobby/art shops. If you can sew a straight line you can easily make your own.  The compartments of this one fit about a 6-8 dozen rods each.   I'm able to sort, store and carry my materials to and from the studio pretty easily.
-
-
With workshops, studio time and guild meetings, I know I'm not the only one traveling with a stash of glass rods. So here' my tip. What do you use?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this idea, I have used a plastic 2 part tube from the welding shop for holding welding rods but this is a much better idea - and I can probably put it inside the welding tube for air travel - thanks