Saturday, July 4, 2009

Flourish (flûr'ĭsh)

-
As defined by the American Heritage Dictionary it is to thrive; to do or fair well; prosper; to make bold, sweeping movements; to wield, wave or exhibit dramatically. It is dramatic or stylish movements, as of waving or brandishing, an embellishment or ornamentation; to sign back and forth boldly.
--
After two months of reading books and watching way to much bad television, I was finally given the all clear to go back to “work” with my right hand. Such good news I decided should be celebrated with a flourish, not just figuratively but literally. By that evening I was sitting in the classroom at Stamp Antonio Arts for a Calligraphic Flourishing workshop from my favorite calligraphy teacher Joan Schmitz. Having not picked up a tool of any sort for weeks it felt odd to grasp a holder and C2 nib. My normal apprehension of that first black mark on plan white paper was far outweighed by my desire to, at long last, do something. I had a good time letting go and my arm seemed to enjoy the broad and open movements.
-
This energy carried over several days to Fiery Friday at Wired Designs Studio. Once again this is typically an environment were I am a bit out of my element. As the sole kiln formed glass craftsman in a room full of torch working pros I normally feel a bit intimidated, but not tonight. I arrived with a plan which involved making components for three separate projects. It wasn't long before I saw the similarities between the work I had been doing Tuesday night with pen and ink, and the design elements I was making in the torch. By the end of the night I must have busted out two full boxes full of ribbons and spirals. These will later end up in work like Family Tree or as the design element in a functional piece.
-
-
There are times when I have made cognizant efforts to bring calligraphic techniques to my glass work. But I find more and more that it is the natural and often unconscious influence that I enjoy best.
-

No comments: