Sunday, March 28, 2010

Understanding Ana

-
 Understanding Ana
12 x 9.5 cm framed, soda lime glass and enamel
-
Understanding Ana is comprised of two pieces of glass each 8.5cm x 6cm x 3mm in size. Each piece of glass a separate idea inspired by two very different memories of my mother.  These are not new ideas. They are concepts I have already been using in other pieces but they come together here in a new way for me. 

For example, the background piece of glass includes a floral pattern symbolic of both my mothers passion for gardening and her fine filigree crochet work. This is representative of my mother's creative side. I began using imagery inspired by my mothers crochet when asked to do a piece for the SAVA Gallery show the Art of Family which opened in May of 2009.  Since then these images have continued to show up in pieces like My Mother's Garden and some clear glass functional work. In Understanding Ana this imagery is hidden behind a layer of clear glass. The texture of the granular imagery visible but not accessible to the touch.
-
The foreground layer of clear glass contains a random segment of text taken from a piece of prose I wrote after driving to work on a cold winter morning. The text was carved from the glass using sandblasting techniques and back-filled with black enamel before firing. It was written after a moment of epiphany. For the first time I felt I really understood a certain aspect of my mother, her sadness. For that moment I could truly empathize. On the glass the words are run together, no capitalization, no punctuation, no intention that they be fully read or understood. So for your benefit the original text is below.
- 
Empathy
This morning I slipped on my coat and I put on my mother’s gloves
I walked out into the crisp cool morning keys in hand
I drove watching my hands on the wheel detached as I once watched her’s
Turning the corner, adjusting the mirror, both hands on the wheel


I realized I had grown like her, through age and maturity
The things that as a youth I had despised with an ignorant disregard
I now understood having been exposed to life’s harsh reality
Her loneliness, the depression she battled, the sadness behind her eyes


I rubbed my hands along my face, to feel her touch in my own movements
The notes of Elgar’s cello in my mind’s ear repeating in endless loops
The hands inside her gloves were mine
-
-
The completed piece brings together the pretty picture in the background with the cold mechanical type scaring the surface much like reality. Together I hope they make something beautiful here just as these conditions can in us. Because of its' small size in order for it to be displayed as part of the San Antonio Calligraphy Guild's (SACG) Spring Show, I framed the completed framed piece.
-
-
You can see this along with the works of other members of the SACG on display at Crumpets Restaurant. The opening reception is today from 4:00 to 6:00 Pm and the work will be on display through May 3rd of 2010.
-

Invitation Calligraphy and Design by Joanne Pacelli
-

2 comments:

soraya nulliah said...

Dear Nicole-thanks for visiting my blog. I totally know what you mean about being intimidated by blank pages. I prepare a few of my pages with watercolor washes and collage to get me stared. Is that your Dobe? They are the best dogs-I used to have one myself-his name was Voodoo and he was the most gorgous creature you ever saw:) I am going to peruse through your blog...

Nicole V Lozano said...

Correction to this post: This piece was not hung at this Spring Show after all.

I Enjoy participating with this organization because it helps expand my knowledge of lettering and design. However unlike the majority of members I have little desire to take pen to paper. My goals is to incorporate lettering in my glass work. Submissions for this show are to include traditional and non-traditional lettering,calligraphy, type design, letter carving, graphic design, book art, and fine art which employs hand lettering or calligraphic marks as a Major Element. As I am the only one these ladies see doing this type of work, they are not familiar with the techniques I use and did not believe it to include hand lettering or calligraphic mark. In the end it probably for the best. Being of such a personal nature I will be glad to have it home where it belongs.

If you have the opportunity swing by and see the show. There are some pretty pieces on paper, velum and even a few on canvas.