Monday, January 9, 2012

Recommended Read

I just finished reading People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. This book came very highly recommend from several calligraphy guild friends. They were spot on.

People of the Book takes a historic event, the saving of the Sarejevo Haggadah, and tells  a fictional tale of the journey this book took from Spain to Sarajevo as it was illustrated, illuminated, and bound.  Narrated from the point of a modern day conservator  this is 600+ year a tale of intrigue which I would recommend to anyone. For someone with an appreciation for the topics involved  you will particularly enjoy the level of description  and detail of language which relate to the art and artists who's tales come together in this novel.

Call me old fashioned but I still read physical books. My poor paperback copy looks like it went through a cross country journey and survived a few wars itself. I just couldn't put it down so it traveled with me. The pages dog eared and the spine concave from ware. All signs of a well loved book.

No comments: