Thursday, January 1, 2009

It's All About Spirals

-
So, it's not a big surprise that I fell in love with this book but spiral lover or not I think you'll be amazed when you flip through these pages. Aidan Meehan is not only the author but also the calligrapher who's hand created the artwork and lettering that grace all 160 pages. I included a sample below for you to get an idea of the detail that is included though out the book. A balance of history, art and instruction Meehan's Spiral Patterns is a delightful read and a wonderful resources. I highly recommend this book not only to those interested in calligraphy but to anyone interested in design and the use of lines to form intricate patterns. Reading the book was pure pleasure for my eyes who enjoyed the change form print medias typical small type to the fluid and natural hand that graces the pages of this book. I'll be keeping this book close at hand and searching for other fascinating reads by Meehan.
-

Excerpt from Aidan Meehan's Celtic Design Spiral Patterns
-






-
Examples of the use if spirals in a couple of my pieces. On the left a 4" square sushi plate with a raise black spiral. On the right, a 19" bowl with multiple spiral elements in and on top of the surface.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a brazilian design that loved your job, reaaly great, congratulations, sorry about my english...