Thursday, January 14, 2010

Crochet Scarves

For the last three weeks I have been serving a term of confinement, which has left me not only stuck at home but off my feet and on my butt. In July of 2008 I had surgery on my left foot and it was only a matter of time till the right foot followed. I've never been one to sit still well. Since working on glass was presently out of the question, I had to find something to do with my hands while watching endless hours of daytime television. Crocheting came easily. It occupied my hands, warmed my heart and helped to count the passing hours stitch by stitch, row by row.
-
Celebrity ScarvesI first flipped through a couple of books to get ideas, including Celebrity Scarves. This book, published in 2003, is People magazine meets the DIY network. Famous  actresses tell the stories of how the came by this craft, share a favorite pattern  and display superstar photographs of them with their scarves. Most of the book is knitters with a crocheter sprinkled in here and there. As knitting is by far the most popular of the two techniques this was no surprise, neither was it a disappointment. The stories and photos entertain and I walked away with a few good ideas. In the end I didn't follow any of the the patterns in the book. Instead I looked at the materials I had on hand (4 large bags of yarn I have been collecting for years), decided on a direction (thin and long, wide like a shawl, soft and lose, etc.) and started stitching.
 -
Using just 4 balls of TLC Wiggles, two yellow #158 and two red #322, I was able to make three scarves. The strong primary colors makes these casual and fun. All three were made using two strands of yarn in double crochet (dc).
-

-
This extended scarf measures an 11 feet 9 inches long including the tassels but only 2 3/4 inches wide. Why so crazy long? So it could be wrapped around and around until it is as thin or as thick around the neck as  desired. It could be worn with long tails drifting behind them or dangling in front. The idea was to be fun and flexible. It was made with one strand each of red and yellow worked together.
-



More typical this one measures 4 feet 8 inches from tip to tail. It's 4 inches wide in alternating strips of yellow and red.
-

-

-
Reader's Digest COMPLETE GUIDE TO NEEDLEWORK: Embroidery, Needlepoint, Knitting, Applique, Quilting, Patchwork, Macrame, Crochet, Rug-Making, Lacework (WITH COMPLETE ILLUSTRATED INSTRUCTIONS)When in need of a little assistance I reach for an ageless resource, the Reader's digest Complete Guide to Needlework. My copy is from 1979 and although the pages have begun to turn a lovely ivory around the borders and the photos are obviously dated the content is none the less timeless and superb. This is the one book of it's kind I can not do without.
-
Adding Lion Brand Fancy Fur to a plan ivory  made all the difference in this soft and decadent scarf. I used ecru and ebony Fancy Fur and a large Q hook to make this item light a fluffy. Without stretching it measures 7 feet 10 inches, including fringe.
-

-
These are just the tip of the iceberg. During my first week home I completed 8 scarves, a hat and am working on a blanket. Please, spare my family and friends yet another birthday or holiday scarf. present. I am sure they love them but at this stage in my life I think they have all gotten their fair share and there are only so many  days (like 3) you can wear your winter gear here in South Texas. I'll be posting these items on Etsy.
-

No comments: