Sunday, July 20, 2008

Recent Reads - While of my feet

With all this time off my feet I haven't been able to do much else except sleep, watch bad television and read. I much prefer reading. Here are a couple of the books I have enjoyed the last couple of weeks.
-
This was actually a recent re-read. I first came across this book several years ago as part of a book club. It is not entirely uncommon that I re-read a book but it is particular kind of book that calls me back time and again. The Glass Palace is a fabulous compilation of stores all intertwined. Just as our lives often do not follow one straight forward plot line the author of The Glass Palace captured the lives and stores of several characters all weaved into one overall story. A story that spanned several cultures and decades it begs to be read and re-read.
-
1000 Glass Beads is less a book to read then peruse. One of many of Larks' recent compilations on a particular topic, this one focuses on Glass Beads. The majority of beads appear to be flame worked but there were also some kiln formed examples. As with any collections there are amazing examples included in the book, but also many mediocre and some just plan bad work featured. The fun was flipping through to see them all.
-
On several occasions recently (i.e. Sol Lowitt x2, The Tacoma Museum of Glass) I have mentioned how I like to purchase exhibit programs so I can later relive the experience, as a way to remember. Glass of four millennia is a program of the historic collection of glass held by the Ashmolean Museum. Although in this instance I am reading as a way to visit a collection I can not see in person. As I am not about to travel anywhere at the moment this was a way to escape, learn and experience the collection all from the comfort of my coach.


1 comment:

The Unadorned said...

Hi Nicole,

I too read Amitav Ghosh's "The Glass Palace". It's a huge canvas but pictures packed into it are quite lively. The endearing tale makes one feel as if one is living with those characters.

Thanks.

Nanda
http://ramblingnanda.blogspot.com
http://remixoforchid.blogspot.com